The first telephone exchange in Coalville was installed in number 31 Park Road in around 1903.
Originally there were nine subscribers, including the police and the fire service.
A call box was situated just inside the house and when someone entered the whole box moved down about an inch sealing the door and causing the box to become soundproof.
When 31 Park Road became too small the exchange was moved to Whitwick road, again in a house; upstairs were the living quarters and downstairs was the exchange.
The exchange connected all calls from Coalville manually. When S.T.D. was introduced callers were able to dial calls for themselves. The exchange then dealt with calls that needed operator intervention and Directory Enquiries.
Information supplied by Miss T. E. Stacey, Mr. W. Stacey and Eileen Birkenshaw.