1910 saw the opening of a great attraction for the young and middle aged inhabitants of Coalville and district. Constructed by a consortium of Coalville business people called the Coalville Olympia Company it rapidly became a prime centre of amusement for the town following the announcement of its opening. This is a transcription of the rules and regulations.
Coalville Olympia Skating Rink.
The new rink will be formallly opened on Wednesday February 9 1910 by William Fellows JP (Chairman of the Council) when Professor Frank Foy, the floor manager will give an exhibition of fancy and trick skating.
The management desire to inform the public that the Rink which is THE MOST MODERNLY EQUIPT IN EVERY DETAIL will be available for the HEALTHY AND AMUSING PASTIME OF ROLLER SKATING on Wednesday February 9 at 7 p.m. and afterwards until further notice three times daily at 10.30 – 1, 3-5.30 and 7-10.
The floor is constructed and covered with the best Canadian Rock Maple and has an area of 6500 sq. feet, capable of accommodating 300 skaters. The latest pattern “Phillips” ball bearing skates are provided. Prices of admission 3d. Use of and hire of Skates 9d.
- Use of own skates 6d. Children under 12 at half price.
- At the morning session ladies and children will be admitted free.
- For the convenience of patrons the following rules and regulations have been adopted.
- Skating must cease at the stroke of a gong.
- Gentlemen will please skate with hats removed.
- Fast skating will not be permitted.
- The use of tobacco in any form is strictly forbidden except in the lounge and promenade.
- Crowding, loud talking or other more noisy demonstrations are forbidden.
- Never cross the skating surface in passing from a seat, always follow the direction of other skaters and avoid interference with the movement of others.
- No skater should stop for an instant on the surface of the circuit except to assist a lady.
- Racing, pushing, tagging, tripping or any rude or dangerous actions are strictly forbidden.
- Skating by more than two together should be avoided.
- When removing skates use the key provided and return the skates to the skate room with heel straps buckled together.
- All children are welcome at morning and afternoon sessions but those under 12 will not be permitted to skate on evening sessions.
- Oiling of skates outside the oil room is not allowed.
The management reserve the right to exclude any objectionable person from the rink.
A first class orchestra will be in attendance and will play popular music. Refreshments will be provided in the café during each session at popular prices. The building being nicely decorated and furnished, well lighted, ventilated and heated by hot water assures the comfort of our patrons.