Donington is incorporated with the village of Hugglescote immediately to the east.
The population of the village is included in the civil parish of Hugglescote and Donington le Heath.
Donington le Heath and Hugglescote and were part of the parish of Ibstock until 1878, when they were formed into a separate civil parish. In 1936 the parish was absorbed by the then urban district of Coalville. The civil parish of Hugglescote and Donington le Heath was reinstated by an order made in May 2010, and the new parish council held its first meeting in May 2011.
The village’s name is old English (Dunton in 1086) meaning ‘farm/settlement of Dunna’.
As early as 1220 Donington le Heath was a dependent chapelry of the parish of Ibstock. Saint Peter’s Donington was demolished in about 1770 and has never been replaced.
Farmland in the township was enclosed in 1774.
In 1831 the chief landed proprietors were Osgathorpe Hospital and Wyggeston’s Hospital, Leicester. The lord of the manor was the Marquess of Hastings and the royalties were owned by the Earl of Stamford and Warrington. At the time of the Domesday Survey Turchil held the manor from Nigel Albini. Nigel gave lands here to Bec Abbey. In 1469 King Edward IV gave the manor to William Hastings, Lord Hastings.
Donington Old Manor House
Donington le Heath Manor House, built around 1280, is one of the oldest surviving houses in England. The building stands on Anglo-Saxon foundations, suggesting that an even earlier structure occupied the site: it has a hall facing south and two wings on the north side and a moat. There are some alterations made in the 17th century, including some of the windows and the ground floor entrance. The house is a Grade II* listed building and next to it is a medieval barn that is also listed.