Hugglescote is about 1 mile (1.6 km) south of the centre of Coalville, and its built-up area is now contiguous with the town. Hugglescote and Donington le Heath were part of the parish of Ibstock until 1878, when they were formed into a separate civil parish.
The Charter of Rolls of 1227 contain the first known references to Hugglescote which is spelt, Hukelescot(e) but which is of an earlier old English form, Hucel’s cot or the farm/settlement belonging to Hucel.
The manor was held by Hugh le Despencer in 1217 and was in various hands until 1464 when the king granted it to William Hastings.
In 1463 William Beaumont, 2nd Viscount Beaumont held the manors of Donington and Hugglescote. However, in the Wars of the Roses Beaumont had fought for the House of Lancaster so Edward IV granted Donington and Hugglescote to the Yorkist courtier William Hastings, 1st Baron Hastings. As of 1831 the Marquis of Hastings was lord of the manor.
The Hastings family’s manor house has been lost. It had a formal garden in which a red brick building was erected in about 1700 and altered in about 1820. The building survives but part of its stone slate roof has collapsed.
A few historic cottages survive in Dennis Street. 26 and 28 Dennis Street are two timber-framed cottages, one of which has the date 1583 on a collar beam and thus dates from the period that W. G. Hoskins identified as the Great Rebuilding of England. The gable end has collar and tie beams and queen struts. The building was extended eastwards in 1761. In 1960 Hoskins considered the original part of the building to be the oldest dated cottage in a Leicestershire village.
16 Dennis Street is a timber-framed cottage with brick nogging that was mainly built in the 17th century, although the original part of the cottage was built in 1590, and has some alterations from the 19th or late 18th centuries. The staircase is in a semicircular extension at the rear of the cottage. 15 Dennis Street is a cottage built of brick with a Swithland slate roof and the date 1757 on a brick over the front door.
In 1831 the number of houses was 127 and the population 683. Farmland in the township was enclosed in 1774. By 1848 Donington and Hugglescote had a National School. It moved into a new building completed in 1862, and an infants’ school was added in 1883. The 1862 and 1883 buildings are now Hugglescote Community Centre.
Construction of the Ashby and Nuneaton Joint Railway began in 1869 and it opened in 1873. The ANJR had a branch from Shackerstone through Hugglescote to Coalville Town. Hugglescote railway station had a junction to the north of it added in 1883, when the Charnwood Forest Railway opened from here to Loughborough Derby Road. The London, Midland and Scottish Railway absorbed both lines in the 1923 grouping and withdrew passenger services from both lines in 1931. Nationalisation in 1948 made the lines part of British Railways, which withdrew freight services from the Charnwood Forest line in 1963 and from the Ashby and Nuneaton line in 1971.