About Snibston

Woodcut of St Mary's church

Snibston (Old English ‘Sniprs tun’ the abode of snipe) was originally a medieval village mentioned in the Domesday Book dating approximately between 1066 and 1538.

The village occupied a triangle of land between Grange Farm, St Mary’s lane and a hollow way. The remains comprise the hollow way and a number of closes separated by banks and ditches. There is also well preserved ridge and furrow in the nearby meadow.

The Parish of Snibston is traditionally from Blower’s Brook, Ravenstone in the east to as far as Coalville, Belvoir Road being roughly the parish boundary in the west. The parish was transferred from Derbyshire in 1884. The parish church of St. Mary which dates from the 12th or 13th century is adjacent to the site of the medieval village, the church is still in use for regular worship.

Modern Snibston centres around the Snibston Mine on Ashby Road in Coalville now the Snibston Country Park.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published.